tel: 01737 812132
Withybed Corner,
a.k.a. "The Rat"
Walton-on-the-Hill, KT20 7UJ
Our Pub
Guest Ales at The Bell/The Rat, Walton on the Hill
Wines & Guest Ales
Suggested Walks around Walton on the Hill
Ramblers & Cyclists
Walton on the Hill Local News
WHAT'S ON ... 
Directions to The Bell/The Rat, Walton on the Hill
Find Us


Monday to Friday
4 pm onwards

Saturday & Sunday
12 noon onwards

Link to Brakspear's Website

  • Guest Ales
  • Beer Garden
  • Parking
  • Occasional Live Music
  • Dogs On Leads Welcome
  • Regret Children Not Allowed Inside but Very Welcome in the Garden
  • Catering Provided for: Events, Parties, Large Groups - Please Telephone for Details


Thank you to the Saturday Walkers' Club for this information

Walk Options
Local Walks Around Walton on the Hill

Walk Notes
  1. A small garden at the junction of the A23 with Quality Street used to contain some original plate rails from the Surrey Iron Railway, with a plaque commemorating the “first public railway in the world”: slightly misleading, as it was only for horse-drawn freight wagons. It reached Merstham from Wandsworth and Croydon in 1806.
  2. Quality Street contains some wonderful old houses, an unexpected survival in such urban surroundings. It is well worth a short detour.
  3. Gatton House and its estate were built up by Sir Jeremiah Colman, of mustard fame. The house is now part of the Royal Alexandra & Albert School. Unfortunately, the house and its landscaped park are only partly visible from the right of way across the grounds.
  4. The Millennium Stones are inscribed with extracts from poems which invite the traveller to “stop, rest and reflect” at this point on the Pilgrims' Way.
  5. Reigate Fort was part of a chain of forts built to defend London at the end of the 19thC, but the idea was soon abandoned. It has recently been opened up by the National Trust and you can wander around the site and read its history from the information panels.
  6. Memorial Glade marks the crash site of an American WW2 bomber.
  7. This is the Inglis Folly, donated to the borough 100 years ago by a Lt Col Inglis.
  8. The Old Pheasantry country house is run by a Children's Trust to provide a holiday home for disadvantaged children and special needs pupils.
  9. A levy on coal was brought in to help pay for the rebuilding of London after the Great Fire of 1666. It was originally collected in the Port of London, but with the growth of road and rail transport, these cast iron Coal Tax Posts were erected in the 1860s to mark the taxation boundary. There are several on the walk route.
  10. Banstead Heath is one of four open areas which make up the Banstead Commons. A wily developer tried to buy up the land for house building in the late 19thC and was only stopped after a 13-year legal battle; as a result the Banstead Commons Conservators were established to preserve the area.
  11. Walton Heath has been the venue for several major golf tournaments, including the 1981 Ryder Cup.
  12. The Latin inscription on the lychgate of St Peter's Church, Walton-on-the-Hill, reads “Death, Gateway, Life”. The church was rebuilt in 1820 but has retained a rare 12thC lead font.
  13. The large house Chussex just off to the left was one of the collaborations between the architect Edwin Lutyens and the garden designer Gertrude Jekyll. It was built in 1908 for Herbert Fowler, who had recently completed the design of Walton Heath golf course.
  14. The remains of a Roman villa were discovered at Chussex Plain during the development of Walton Heath golf course. Its creator noted that “The Romans…had designed some excellent bunkers”.
  15. Tadworth Windmill is said to be the tallest surviving post mill in England. It was built in the 18thC, although there have been much older mills on this site. It lost its sails in 1921 and was further damaged in WW2. For many years the Borough Council have been trying to persuade its private owner to carry out repairs.
  16. This is the part of the course where the suffragette Emily Davison was killed when she threw herself under the King's horse in the 1913 Derby.
    back to top
  1. Main Walk(16¼ km) NOs. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 12 & 14
  2. Main Walk (shorter ending - 14½ km) NOs. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 13 & 14
  3. Main Walk (alternative afternoon route - 17 km) NOs. 1, 2, 3, 4, 11, 12 & 14
  4. Main Walk (alternative route and shorter ending - 15¼ km) NOs. 1, 2, 3, 4, 11, 13 & 14
  5. Circular Walk (from Tattenham Corner - 13¾ km) NOs. 6, 7, 8, 9, 13, & 14
  6. Circular Walk (extended to Mogador - 14½ km) NOs. 6, 7, 10, 11, 13 &14
Walk Directions

      For walk directions:-
      Click Section Heading to Open - Click again to Close.

      For the Circular Walk, start at NO. 6.

  1. Merstham to Gatton (1¾ km)
  2. Gatton to Reigate Hill (3 or 2 km)
  3. Reigate Hill to Colley Hill (2½ km)
  4. Colley Hill to Mogador (1 km)
  5. Mogador to Mere Pond direct (2¾ km)
  6. Tattenham Corner to Walton-on-the-Hill (4¼ km)
  7. Walton-on-the-Hill to Chussex Plain (2¼ km)
  8. Chussex Plain to Dorking Road, Tadworth (2¼ km)
  9. Dorking Road, Tadworth to Mere Pond (1½ km)
  10. Chussex Plain to Mogador(1 km)
  11. Mogador to Mere Pond via Tadworth Windmill (3½ km)
  12. Mere Pond to Epsom Downs Racecourse via Nohome Farm (4¼ km)
  13. Mere Pond to Epsom Downs Racecourse direct (2½ km)
  14. Epsom Downs Racecourse to Tattenham Corner (1 km)